Contents of This Page
- Application Roles
- The General Session Operating Pattern
- Most Work is Done on the Main Page
- Using ActionMap Toolkit Sessions in e-Meetings
- Standard Session Prerequisites
- Major Application Functions Other than the Main Page
The ActionMap Toolkit application involves three major roles.
Subscribers are people who have a subscription to the ActionMap Toolkit application.
Subscribers can create and administer Group Sessions and manage the resulting Work Products.
Subscriptions are currently available through this link.
There is one Operator per session.
The Subscriber becomes the Operator when that person opens and joins a Session.
The Operator performs all the data entry for the Session. In addition the Operator provides explanations of the method, moves the session through different Activities, and performs certain Session control actions.
Participants are session attendees who review and add information in Sessions.
(Participants do not require subscriptions.)
Participants view the Toolkit Main Page and respond to prompting questions from the Operator via e-meeting voice or chat, or in person. The application provides extensive guidance and explanation for the prompting questions. The Prompting Questions are designed to capture short text phrases.
▪ The Subscriber sets up the Session and invites Participants.
▪ The Subscriber joins the Session, at which point the Subscriber becomes the Session Operator.
▪ The Operator explains Session Activities, moderates the discussion, moves the Session from one Activity to the next and controls Participant capabilities.
▪ Participants join sessions using e-meeting invitations from Subscribers.
▪ Participants contribute the bulk of session information capture by providing relatively short text phrases to the Operator.
▪ The operator can moderate or act as a co-equal participant.
Main Page Schematic
Most of the work in the ActionMap Toolkit is done on the the Main Page, a schematic of which is shown below. An overview of the Main Page can be found here.
|Sessions are expected to be supplemented by full e-meeting applications including screen-sharing, voice and chat.
(Please note that the ActionMap Toolkit application Basic version does not include voice conferencing, video conferencing or general screen sharing. These are expected to be provided by the Subscriber.)
Note: When you are screen sharing through an eMeeting, please be aware that the Toolkit pages may show sessions and work products that you are working for other groups, along with desktop folders where you can save and access local data. Please consider when to stop screen sharing in those situations.
▪ Session subject matter can be any activity that can be thought of as a process, including departmental functions, cross-functional activities, team activities, projects, plans and environmental and scientific processes.
▪ Sessions can be started with no prior knowledge of the method for Participants and no prior knowledge of the subject matter for the Operator.
▪ Sessions can be performed in as little as fifteen minutes for an ad hoc meeting, or for extended periods and/or in multiple events to cover large topics with many participants
▪ We use the term "Operator" because while facilitation skills can add value, only normal meeting management skills are needed to run the Session, in terms of managing the people interactions. See "Facilitation Support" at actionmap.com for more information on that.
▪ Teams that are experienced in using the application can be expected to conduct complete Sessions with only very simple Operator actions.
Major software functions outside the Main Page include:
▪ Session Administration
▪ Work Product Management
Session Administration Functions are used by Subscribers to administer Sessions, including the functions of:
- Create Session
- Edit Session Description
- Copy Session Information (to clipboard, for inviting participants via email and other media)
- Join and Start Sessions
- Change Session Status
- Delete Sessions
For more detail please see Session Administration.
Work Product Management functions are used by Subscribers to manage Work Products, from inside the Main Page and from a separate Work Product Management page.
The primary work products of the ActionMap Toolkit are called Map and Plan Areas (areas of activity that are mapped and planned for.)
Map and Plan Areas All other information in a Map and Plan Area, including Comments and Plan Items, are attached to the Maps.
- Create Map and Plan Areas
- Edit Map and Plan Area Descriptions
- Attach/Detach Map and Plan Areas from Sessions
- Export Map and Plan Areas to PowerPoint and Excel
- Archive, De-Archive, Delete Map and Plan Areas
- Add Process Maps to Map and Plan Areas
- Export and Re-Import Map and Plan Areas
- Copy and Delete Maps
- Copy Maps with Selective Parts Filters
- Copy Map and Plan Areas
- Organize Maps in Map and Plan Areas **
* This function is planned for Q2 2019.
Suggested Next Page
To add or view comments about this article please go to the forum post at this link.